Monday, September 11, 2017

'My pub ladies'

In 'Pages From Her Story' I talked about different topics and how God met me in them.  For example purpose, forgiveness, suffering, shame, growing in Him, participation and living life with Jesus.  

I met a group of ladies in a village pub/restaurant when I was doing masters in Christian Formation and Discipleship.  I got to know them, heard their stories and eventually heard their pain, frustrations, fears, at times hopelessness and despair.  

When it was time for me to do my capstone project at the end of the course, I asked them if they would be willing to assist me.

They knew I was a Christian and what my masters was about.  But I had never preached at them or ever talked about Jesus from a place of fear.  I often talked about who He was and who we are because of Him.  

I was very excited when they agreed to help me by coming together every week after reading one of the stories and talk.  I told them they could be completely real and even tell me if they didn't like the story.

We met every week for three months.  We laughed. cried, at times some of them got mad at me, told me what I said was stupid (they did use the word often) and we grew together.  

That was a little over two years ago.  Several of these women have received Jesus, allowed Him His place in their life and become who they are in Him.  I continued to meet with them and now there is another group of women I am meeting with that was recommended by the original group.  I call them 'my pub ladies!"  I have encouraged the ladies that became Christians they too can bring a group together and lead them.  

Matthew 28:19 says, "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptising them in the name of the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit."  As Jesus taught and trained, He then told them to go and do the same - to continue to participate with Him in His mission in the world through the unique way He created us.  He sent us a comforter, helper - Holy Spirit who empowers us to do this.  

Maybe you could do something like this with 'Pages From Her Story'  or with your own story.  


Pages From Her Story is a collection of stories about the transformation of a woman whose heart was broken but brought back to life when she met God. It is about the story God tells us in all our lives. It is about humanity and the world and how an awareness of God changes and infuses everything, making a difference in our everyday life. It is the snapshots of a woman learning to be everything she was created to be and participating with God in His mission in this world.

These stories are about love, redemption, hope, forgiveness, trust, and reconciliation. As you read—the broken parts, the secret parts, and the beautiful parts—the gospel will come to life. That’s the transforming story of what God does in a human heart. It can come alive, and that story can change your life.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment