Saturday, March 19, 2016

Misty Morning Meditations

(Photo by Tamara Jackson)

Who, although being essentially one with God and in the form of God ) possessing the fullness of the attributes which make God God), did not think this equality with God was a thing to be eagerly grasped or retained.  But stripped Himself (of all privileges and rightful dignity), so as to assume the guise of a servant, in that He became like men and was born a human being.    (Philippians 2:6-7  Amplified Bible, Classic Edition)

As I stand looking out this morning, it is so misty.  This photo to the left is not one I have taken, actually a young lady from Holmsted (our YWAM campus) took it as she stood looking out the window.  I liked it so much, because it is perfect here in England ....it looks like this most mornings in the winter and many mornings in the summer.  

 I like it.  There is something about it that inspires me to get a cup of coffee and write.  And when I write, I describe emotions I am experiencing.  This morning I am thinking about a conversation I had with this young woman in our local village.  We were having a cup of coffee and she was very troubled.  

     I just sat there and listened.  I knew that was all she needed for me to do.  She looked at me with these most beautiful brown eyes that were so sad.  She said, "Teresa, I feel as though I have to ask permission to be."  As we sat there and she said nothing more.  I asked her, "Permission to be what?"  It took her a while, but she finally said, "A person."  She went on to say,  I always want to know if what I said or what I did was OK; am I Ok?"  

 I have a birthday tomorrow and I am in the late fifth decade of my life; I could relate with this young woman.  I was meeting with her again today, what was I going to say to her?  Oh God, I wanted to say something smart, helpful; I wanted to ease that pain I saw on her face.

 God had shown me in my own life this was shame and oh it was so crippling.  It was painful and it was a thief; it robbed life - it hindered a person from being every thing God created him/her to be.  It said a human being was a bad thing and we needed to do everything we could do to keep from being human.

But God created us as human, He wanted us to be fully human; not try and be something else.  The Son of God entered into our lives, He became a human being; He felt what we felt, He experienced what we knew.  Jesus showed us how to live as a human being - dependent on God by Holy Spirit.  Jesus died, rescued us from the the evil one; we are forgiven.  

Maybe after the fall, we didn't have 'permission' but Jesus stepped in and now we DO have the right to be everything God created us to be; we have the right to be a human being.  We do not have to ask for permission to be a person; we don't have to ask if we are OK.  Shame cannot hinder us any longer!

 Oh God show me how to share with young woman; do I share?  Do I just listen now?   Empower me to participate with you today in my giftedness through Holy Spirit in your mission in this young woman's life.  I am trusting YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment