Thursday, March 24, 2016

Have a cup of coffee with me

This past week I had coffee with a lady I had spent some time with before.  She had called and ask me to join her.  

I didn't know what to expect, she had been under a great deal of stress the last time I saw her.  She was struggling with some things in her life and didn't believe God was there or even if there was a God.  

All I had done was sit with her and listened to her story.  She had cried a bit, I had continued to sit with her.  I knew I couldn't fix anything, but I wanted her to know she had a friend.

Once we received our coffee, she started thanking me.  I asked for what.  These words she said will always mean so much to me.  

"Teresa, there is still so much going on in my life, but the one thing I know Jesus is alive and working in our lives right now .......because I saw and felt Him when you continued to sit with me through my pain.  You didn't leave me, you didn't try and fix me, you didn't tell me to get it together .....you didn't give me advice ......you were just there.  And all I have read about Jesus, He would do the same thing." 

Connection .......I just heard someone say, "Connection is the opposite of addiction."  By this he meant we were made for connection and if we don't connect with our Creator and those around us ....we will connect to something.  

As I continue to sit with my daughter .......and with other people, I am seeing the life, the value of this kind of connection.  It is not easy .......but I believe it is so much the way God works in this world.  We can plan all kinds of things to do 'for God' and they may be great things and very necessary, but I believe it is in the everyday connections with people that speaks the loudest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment