Friday, March 4, 2016

He is sitting with us

                               
My beautiful daughter
Now we know we have Jesus, this great High Priest with ready access to God - let's not let it slip through our fingers.  We don't have a priest who is out of touch with our reality.  He's been through weakness and testing, experienced it all - all but the sin.  So let's walk right up to Him and get what He is so ready to give.  Take the mercy, accept the help.
(Hebrews 4:14-16)

There are some things going on with my daughter.  I am not sure what it is, but I am struggling so much watching her.  I don't know how to help, so hard for a mother.

There are some things I am struggling with and have been the past few weeks.  I am listening to God.  

The past 3 weeks I have been in Switzerland, outside of Geneva at one of our YWAM campuses with the masters program I am presently staffing - just finishing it myself!  During our first week, during a prayer time, we heard the words; He sits with us.  This continued to stand out to me the entire trip and since I have been home.  

As I have been listening to God regarding my own situation and that of my daughters, I heard these words again.  I asked God to tell me more.  He brought a picture to mind.  It was a picture of myself and a young woman from years ago.  I think I was only 21 years of age (so yes a long time ago!  : ) ).  I was in the intensive care unit of a hospital I was working for right out of university.  There was a young man in the bed in front of this lady and me.  I was sitting beside this lady, holding her hand; just sitting there, not speaking, but tears running down my face and the lady crying profusely.  I remembered the emotions I was feeling; such pain, helplessness and agony.  You see the young man was this lady's husband of only 2 months and he was dying.  He had had a headache that afternoon at 3:00 pm, fell over and they brought him into hospital.  The doctors had done everything they could for this young man, he was only 21 and so was his wife.  He had an
aneurysm in his brain and it was bleeding; they couldn't stop it.  The doctor had also stood over the bed with tears running down his face and said there was nothing they could do.  The young woman had no other family, I couldn't leave her.  I stayed through my shift and then into the next one - sitting with her, holding her hand, crying.  I felt stupid at times, but I knew I couldn't leave her.  I stayed until he died around 2 in the morning and then I stayed longer.  She just sat there, I sat with her.  

There is more to the story, but this is the picture God brought to mind.  I remembered years later this young woman came to visit me.  She wanted to thank me for staying with her.  I felt embarrassed thinking, I did nothing!  She must have read my mind because she said your presence alone was what what I needed.  

As I listened to God, I sensed Him saying, "Teresa, your presence was a gift to her, I will sit with you during the hard times, the disappointing times, the frustrating times, even the stupid times.  And during this time with your daughter, sit with her; just let her know you are there.  I am there with you too."

The incarnation was alive to me.  He entered into our lives.  His presence is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment