Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Rhythms of Life

Beautiful picture taken by Helen Johnson!
http://www.helen-johnson.com
I need these rhythms of life (spiritual disciplines).  I believe you do too.  God created us, He knows how we function the best.  He made us to gaze upon Him to learn, grow and be all He created us to be.

Do you know that to seek God is a choice He has given you and it is always available?  We can say no, we can try and live another way; many of us have.  It doesn't work.  It might be fun for a while or work for while, but not for long.

I like the phrase 'spiritual rhythms' that Ruth Barton uses for the spiritual disciplines or holy habits.  It helps to get me away from some of the heavy handed and rigid approaches to spirit life that I experienced in my past.

With rhythms, I think of the ocean's waves and tides, which come and go; and are full of variety and creativity.  I know I have often sat at the ocean, watching the waves and always felt closer to God, thought of Him when I looked at that powerful water.

The rhythm of intimacy with God feeds our soul and keeps us open and available for God's surprising initiatives in our lives.  Once we learn the disciplines, just like with a dance, a sport, it comes natural; we could not imagine not knowing how to do it.  Then there is so much room for creativity; putting them together in a rhythm that works, and adding others when we need to. 

We cannot transform ourselves, or anyone else; but we can create the conditions in which spiritual formation can take place.  We can choose, develop and maintain a rhythm of spiritual practices that will keep us open and available to God.

In some of the books I have read from some of the great mothers and fathers of the the past, they say this structured arrangement of spiritual practices is referred to as 'a rule of life.'  This is a way of ordering our life around values, practices and relationship that keep us open and available to God for the work of spiritual transformation that God can bring about.

For the first time in my life I understand these acts of prayer, meditating on God's word, allowing Him to search my heart ......give time for conviction, confession, forgiveness and space for my growing, becoming more like Jesus; becoming all God created me to be.

They are not something I better do or I will get in trouble.  I was shocked when God showed me this; thoughts and fears from that little girl I was ....still there.  

I am not ashamed of myself now for recognising fears of that little girl, in the past I would have been; but now I see it as part of a process; growing, learning - no matter how old I am!  Spiritual formation - I welcome and desire those rhythms of life.

Some questions to think/pray/reflect:

1.)  What have you been hearing from God?  What are His invitations to you?  How are you responding?
2.)  Has your desire deepened to intentionally incorporate reflecting/journaling into your rhythm of life?  If so, how has this happened?
3.)  What are some challenges you might have and how will you invite God into thee challenges?

No comments:

Post a Comment