Friday, September 5, 2014

Looking at the history of Christianity

I love studying the history of Christianity.  Now if you had asked me this years ago I would have laughed.  I didn't think it was necessary to be a Christian.  It is not necessary to be a Christian, but knowing what you are a part of ....knowing the story of Jesus is amazing!

In the masters course I am coming to an end with right now ....I am in my last module and am really sad about it.  I was able to look at the early church, study what God was doing from Old Testament through to New Testament, look at theology, doctrine and see the whole story.  This was just what I needed at this point in my life.

I have been in mission work for over 22 years with very little time off; even when I married Howard.  We took 3 months to combine families from 2 continents, prayer/financial teams from 2 continents, get to know each other better, be together, adjust and have fun.  There are absolutely no regrets, but I was at a place where I needed something.  I didn't know what, but I was restless.  When a lady who I admired a great deal shared her desire and plan to start a masters course in spiritual formation and discipleship at the University of the Nations (a university with Youth With A Missions), I was immediately interested.  I had learned so much from her, her life and wisdom.  

Howard did not have the need that I did, but when I talked to him, he was completely supportive of my desire.  So I started a masters course at my age!  Some people still ask why I am doing this?  We are life long learners - we are to always grow in our relationship with God.  Jesus told His followers to go and make disciples and teach them all I have commanded you.  

Did you know that everything changed with education after the resurrection?  During that time only the wealthy men were educated, not women, not children and not ordinary men or women.  The church started teaching women, children, and ordinary men and women to know more about God and the world.  


JohnLuke!  Looking very serious as he talks about his education!
My son is talking about university at this time.  I always wanted him to go to university, but to be honest recently I have been a bit apprehensive.  The universities in the US and UK are very liberal in their thinking.  Do you know where the name university comes from?? The Christian fathers and mothers were coming together to study the universe, the world God created ....thus university was the name given to these schools.  The teachers were called professors because these people were professing Jesus Christ .....thus professors.

Cambridge, Oxford, the university of Paris, Harvard, etc was started through Christianity.  The resurrection changed everything.

I have been talking to my son about this.  I don't want him to wait as late as I have to know history.  If he goes into university, I want him to love God with all of His mind.  I want him to use his mind to bring science and faith together.

Look back at history, study the story of Jesus; the early church - so many things changed after the resurrection.  

Do you know who first taught to value women and children ....study the story of Jesus! 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this, Teresa. I've been discovering the same thing lately - it's not essential, but knowing the story we're part of is so exciting - I can't believe I'd missed out on that before!

    Looking forward to reading some more of your posts soon!

    x

    ReplyDelete