Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Cup of Coffee with God


     One of my favorite things to do is sit with friends talk, listen, hear their hearts and share mine.  I got up this morning and had such a desire to have a cup of coffee with God.  I just wanted to be with Him.  The last few weeks have been very hectic; I have much on mind and can't seem to see anything clearly.  Howard, JohnLuke, Georgina and I are flying back to Costa Rica next week.  Suitcases, packing, being overweight, terroist attacks on airplanes, our future, house, education for my children, finances........I just want to lay it all down and have a cup of coffee with Father. 
    
     I get in a cozy chair with my Bible, journal and a nice cup of coffee.  I just sat there, asked God to help me lay all these things down and I listened.  I went to Psalms because I just wanted to praise God.....as the one true God, to acknowledge Him as King of Kings and Lords of Lords.  I went to Ps. 29.  The last verse (11) stood out to me.  I need God's strength and His peace.  
 
     There were several things that came out during the next couple of hours, some pertaining to the issues I am dealing with.  But this is what I saw....God wants to speak to us about the things we need to hear.  I often think I know what I need, but only God knows what our hearts and souls truly need. 
I read Luke 3:22 where the Father spoke to Jesus and said, "You are my Son, I love you and I am pleased with you."  Peter, our pastor in England reminded Howard and me just weeks ago that God is speaking these truths to us too.   
     
     Before Jesus gave the Sermon on the Mount, before His extraordinary moments in ministry, God declares Jesus' identity, that He is loved, accepted and approved of.  These things were not contingent on performance and He declares this to us too. 
     
     God reminded me of this truth today:  I am His child, I am loved, He accepts and approves of me.  This is what I needed to hear, it is what I needed to remember.  
     
     As I got up to start with all I had to do, I felt great strength and peace.  I finished my coffee (boy it was good this morning) and asked God; help me be attentive to His presence within my heart and to always listen and obey Him.
     
     I miss having coffee/tea with many of you, but try having one today with Father.

Teresa
 

No comments:

Post a Comment